Re: Actual photograph

From: Bill William ^lt;iodideshi@yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 03/19/05-02:18:32 PM Z

--- Katharine Thayer

I agree with a lot of what you say here.

Part of it is craftsmanship vs. artistry I think. You
know, the degree of each that is put into a work.

(sorry Judy... I don't like the look of "crafts-person" I
think a craftsman can be a woman and vice versa!)

I have often felt like some unknowing souls were being
"taken" by the smooth talking sellers of poster prints...
names escape me but you know the ones... colorful Hawaii
underwater sea-ns with flipper.. C. R. Lasren? and
"Yamagata" posters, here... they don't stop to tell you
that these are massed produced high quality copies... yet
some poor souls seem to believe they are the "original"!
Why? I think that price tag tells them "this must be good"

Anyway, it is interesting to reflect on Chinese and
Japanese traditions... when it comes to Artistic
craftmanship, I was really in awe at some of their skill
in crafting what ever it was they did... but in the end
they were just craftsmen, well, most of them.

The design was just being really well done again and
again... AND AGAIN... sort of like Randy Hansen doing Jimi
Hendrix... (sorry- for those of you who don't know, he is
REALLY good!The only tribute artist to have earned the
endorsement of Hendrix's family!)

Anyway, also
 consider the maker of Ukiyoe or Japanese Wood Block
Prints...
They were turned out factory style... Printer, Carver,
Designer what have you they all worked as a team to
produce CHEAP and unfortunately NOT very well respected...
pinups.

But to my eyes they beat the average snapshot/photograph
up and down the wall!

What is my point?
While I want MY original unique work to be prayed over
(and even to!)... There ARE some art forms /artists that
accept that some things are to be produced in large
quantity at low price and prints such as typical silver
halide-gelatin prints... are a perfect medium for this...
it is their nature to be produced in quantity and sold
cheaply and this goes double double extra for "squirts"
like digital prints! (Take that you big bully!)

Really, perhaps we need to have some kind of law to
protect the integrity of the name "Photography" from those
deceptive sales animals... (Do you think patti smith would
write a song about it for us? Ralph Nader, we need you!)

OK, Ok I'll be quiet. Sorry. I must have inhaled or
something. Absorbing way too much gelatin in my
new(alternative) process.

Ray 48 hours w/o sleep....
IMHO
Happiness is the best Music.