Re: Rotating Josef was Actual Photograph

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 03/20/05-08:28:17 AM Z

Judy,

I'm not sure of the meaning of "benchmark" in your comments. It is followed
with "souped up" which tends to have a bit of a negative connotation.

To be clear about it, I don't have any problem with "digital" per se. I am
very excited about scanning some of my street work from the early 70's. I
worked with a Leica and often the exposures are way off as this was pre
auto exposure and working on rainy days and grabbing shots in alcoves and
doorways was a hit or miss affair exposure-wise. I've been able to
"salvage" a number of shots that I've never been able to get a really good
print out of.

Here is an example of one image that I've always had a devil of a time
printing.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/silver_gelatin_image_1972.htm

Getting the separation between his left shoulder and the umbrella often
fails me when trying to make a good print. I know there are people out
there that can do this kind of thing with masks etc. With digital it is a snap.

I am not sure if this will show up well on your monitor as I just uploaded
the image and I do not have a calibrated monitor here in my office, but
you'll get the point.

To me digital printing is a form of publishing and I'd sure like to be able
to make enough images to do a book. The other problem that confronts us is
how to bind this stuff up into book form.

Say you want to do 100 images in an edition of 100. That's 10,000 images. A
bit too much for today's technology. Even at a minute per that is 166 hours
of steady print time. And good digital photo paper being a dollar a sheet!!!

BUT.. if the speed can be boosted and the cost lowered and we can find some
way to professionally bind this stuff up into book form then we really have
something going for us.

--Dick