Re: Rotating Josef was Actual Photograph

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 03/20/05-10:09:40 AM Z

Katherine,

Gotch beat. I brought in the first Interleaf System back years before
Photoshop and Pagemaker were around. It ran on a 10,000.00 dollar Unix
workstation. It's still being used in book publishing but I just googled
the name and there seems to be a lot of conversion stuff to bring Interleaf
into Framemaker. Interleaf also did images and I had a scanned image of
Bogart, like in Humphry, (imagine a tough guy today with the name of
Humphry!) with a cigarette dangling from his lips. In my demos I used the
cloning tool to remove the cigarette. Total disbelief. Someone once said
that technology that is not understood is not much different from magic. It
was truly magical then.

This was at the City of Los Angeles back in the 80's. Those divisions that
had Interleaf fought tooth and nail against what they thought were junior
upstarts of Pagemaker and Photoshops. They were thought of as amateur
tools and unfit for real work. I wasn't so sure then. I managed the New
Technology Divison and was suspected of lunacy when I suggested that the PC
would eventually have a serious impact on mainframes. It's done that pretty
well.

--Dick