Re: How to super harden papers?

From: John Cremati ^lt;johnjohnc@core.com>
Date: 03/26/05-05:59:58 AM Z

      Hi Sandy,
Just some thoughts.
        I know with my little experience in extreme high relief , the ph
is said to be the critical factor in the amount of swelling the gelatin is
able to do.....The maximum swelling is achieved about a PH of 8.4 with the
minimum swelling taking place at about 4.7....... As a thought, maybe you
are coating or attempting to size the paper at or close to a maximum
condition in the wet state...... Then when dried, it has not sized the paper
sufficiently .....
        Possibility the paper reacts with the gelatin causing the ph to be
changed at surface level and again when dry, it does not have the amount
of gelatin size necessary to do its job.................
        Another thought is the pigmented emulsion at a ph of 8.7 causing
high relief in the wet state but low relief when dried.....Maybe as a
experiment I would try coating the paper using a PH emulsion opposite of
what you are using to see what you may see .
   Please let me know of your progress.

John Cremati