Re: copyright/Walker Evans/'FSA

From: John Ptak ^lt;3legskilled@thesciencebookstore.com>
Date: 03/30/05-10:04:01 AM Z

Regarding Walker Evans (and the other 12 (?) FSA Historical Section folks,
the WPA photographers, and so on): my understanding is that there is no
copyright for any of the work paid for by the US government, and that work
done on the government dime is the government's/Peoples' property (except if
you're RM Nixon and a few other (and one sitting) presidents). Now,
without weighing in philosophically, I don't know why it was that
Walker/Lee/Lange/Russell and so on were able to sell these government works
for their own profit. I'm not saying necessarily that Lange shouldn't have
made her life more easy or made it easier for her to produce more great
works by selling her Mona Lisa image of the Migrant Mother--it just gets
sticky when copyright and use comes into contact with works paid for by the
US government. I guess that I should know if the FSA folks signed a special
use agreement with Stryker or whomever, but I don't, and I would be
interested to know this bit if anyone out there knows this history.

(Incidentally, by my calculation, it seems that the government paid about 2
[1940] dollars for every photograph produced by the Historical Section of
the FSA. Not a bad return on investment--even considering the Depression).

John Ptak