RE: Formaldehyde source (was Gum woes)

From: Scott Wainer ^lt;swphoto@verizon.net>
Date: 05/11/05-04:18:57 PM Z

Dave,

I'm ordering the formaldehyde through DJ Photochem in Canada (thank you Nick Zentena). Good price there.

As a side note, my darkroom is basically a giant fumehood (10' x 10' x 8' or 800 cu.ft.). The fresh air enters at cealing level over the dryside and is exhausted at sink level on the wetside. I have two 440cfm inline fans with speed controls (when working with dry chemicals) that can change the complete room air once a minute. I also wear a respirator rated for organic vapors when working with all chemicals. Interestingly, even with the fans on full blast they are very quiet. For those interested, the fans are made by Panasonic - Model # FV-40NFL1 See it here:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=62897&catGroupId=25087&modelNo=FV-40NLF1&surfModel=FV-40NLF1&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

You may have to cut & paste the link.

Best, Scott

swphoto@verizon.net

Dave Rose wrote:

It's been a few years since I've bought it. Try Dawn Scientific in Newark,
NJ.

It is difficult to buy. I think many suppliers suspect drug manufacture or
other nefarious motives for buying it? Once I explained my needs, the
owner of Dawn was accomodating.

It is very nasty stuff, so if you use it, only do so outdoors.

Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming