Winsor & Newton update

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/21/05-03:24:23 AM Z

I just discovered something I hadn't been aware of, since I don't use
Winsor & Newton paints, that might be of interest to those of you who
do. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this, but W&N has just this
year undergone a major reformulation of their paint line. I learned
about this at handprint:

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt2.html#winsornewton

A brief excerpt from the above: "The extensive brand revisions in 2005
reformulated the paint vehicle, deleted some unpopular yellow paints and
convenience mixtures... and made several pigment substitutions forced by
supplier shortfalls-- most important of them quinacridone gold, now a
convenience mixture of three pigments."

(As an aside to the last, as far as I've been able to ascertain, Daniel
Smith bought up enough of the last available quinacridone gold (PO 49)
to be able to make quinacridone gold paint on into the future.)

At any rate, it's hard to know at this point whether or how this change
will affect how the paints behave in gum printing, but something to be
aware of.

Katharine Thayer