Re: GUM-PVA-COLD preshrink

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/24/05-06:08:02 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> This makes sense, actually. I think it's been fairly well established by
> now that hot water can disrupt the factory sizing in some papers in a
> way that affects the print negatively. I can't speak to the issue of
> cold shrinking from my own experience, because for most of my gum
> printing experience I've printed everything including tricolor gums on
> paper that's neither preshrunk nor sized, and for the rest of it I've
> printed on paper that's brush-sized but not shrunk. So as I say, I can't
> say from my own experience that preshrinking in cold water obviates the
> need for sizing, but it makes sense to me, although it probably wouldn't
> work the same for all papers.

I doubt, for example, that a paper that didn't print well unsized would
suddenly pull itself together with a cold water soak and print better
after soaking than it would without the soak. I guess what I'm trying
to mean here is that a cold water soak probably won't hurt the printing
properties of a paper the way a hot water soak will. But I don't mean to
go beyond that to suggest that a cold water soak could improve the
printing properties of a paper, either.
kt