Re: Further Gum Woes was Gum woes revisited

From: davidhatton ^lt;davidhatton@superonline.com>
Date: 05/30/05-12:46:58 PM Z

Hi,

Ok ya got me. I remember reading 'somewhere' that a gum print should
look like a charcoal or pastelle drawing and that the shine effects
contrast.

Also, in Post factory (my bestest gift ever from my daughter ), it
mentions reducing shine by abrading with fine sandpaper. From this I
extrapolated that shine was
out in gum.

As far as my exposures are concerned I'm using a single low contrast
8x10 tri-X in camera neg. trying to produce a monochrome(ish) image. I
basically have to overexpose all layers as I only have the Sun as a
light source. I thought I had it down but then along come clouds, heat
haze etc..etc..The rationale being that ANY print would clear eventally.
Just can't get any depth.

Today I tried a single coat print. 1 inch of Dan Smith deep Scarlet, 5
ml gum, 10 ml saturated Potted Dick. Print is on unsized saunders
waterford. The coating was perfect ( even if I say so myself) even,
polished, dried in the dark under a fan. Exposure by my guessometer was
90 min. overcast sky south western Turkey.

I soaked it, washed it with running water, brushed it gently by
disturbing the water (not actually touching) over the print. I then hit
it with cold water shower followed by hot water shower followed by a
scrubbing brush.Nothing.

Is it really possible? This process? The examples in Post Factory are
beautiful - but are they real? My wife is hiding all sharp objects and
looking worried. I suppose watching your husband scrubbing paper in the
bath is a tad un-nerving...

Is there anyone out there using the sun as a light source for gum?

David Hatton