Re: salt prints - at last!

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/08/05-04:46:08 PM Z

Judy,

These are really nice. Also, good website. So nice that your learning curve
ended in success.

I, like you, had a learning curve when going to salt, because it is not like
a lot of the rest of the processes where room light is fine and the rinse
and clear are not so crucial--salt is very susceptible to fogging. I now,
if I salt print, do so at night and don't have any light source in the room
(my room is not light tight) and I make sure to rinse for 10 minutes first,
in the dark, and then fix for a good long time, too. Then my contrast is
nice and punchy. The other thing that amazes me is I can get close to 31
steps on a step tablet with salt, when i am used to only half that with
other processes like cyanotype and gum. It's quite sensitive, and quite
tonal. And it stains my sink...gum seems like a breeze by comparison except
you have three layers, not one.
Chris