Re: Dichromates ???

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 11/09/05-03:29:07 PM Z

Ryuji,

I kind of had an idea that something like that was happening but I'm still
curious, tell me if I got this right? Dichromate as you said is always
active or sensitive to light and heat but it take the presense of those
macromolecules as you say to have a noticable effect such as hardening or
render insoluble those macromolecules.

I suppose then that the dissolved solution is only a mean to put the
dichromate in contact with the macromolecules in a relatively uniform
fashion.

Could there be a point then at which the dichromate crystals themselves or
in solution, would become unusable because of exposure to heat, UV and
whatever else might affect the dichromate?

Would you happen to know the frequency or range of frequencies that
dichromnates are most sensitive to?
I assume this could vary with the various dichromates.

One last question or two if I may, I wonder how the thickness of the
sensitise matrix (say gelatine, pigment and dichromate) on the "tissue"
affect the hole shibang?

How much damage to the negative used to expose the matrix can I expect, how
many prints can I make before I have to put it in the can and is there a way
to protect against damage?

I assume there must be a minimum thickness of the matrix otherwise there
will be an insufficiant amount of pigment to build up the density needed for
good deep blacks or other dark colors . I also assume the penetration of UV
rays inside the matrix is limited to a certain extent and from this point on
any additional thickness will be wasted.

If someone happens to know about this thickness thing it would simplify my
life quite a bit but I assume I'll probably have to do my own testing on
this issue. In the event that I find some interesting results I wonder if
anyone else might be interested.

Thanks a million
Yves Gauvreau, Montreal