Re: Tannic Acid

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/13/05-05:20:48 AM Z

From: John Brewer <john@glossyormatt.com>
Subject: Re: Tannic Acid
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:25:56 +0000

> I presume that I have condensed tannins as it wasn't very
> soluble. Is there anything I can try to make it more soluble, such
> as heat for example?

Chaning the source of tannin is probably the best.

But even hydrolyzable tannin is not very soluble. Also, tannin sold by
scientific lab supply houses contain both kinds (they are
mixtures). The one I have is largely hydrolyzable but some are
probably condensed. (The concentration range I use is 0.001g/L to
1g/L, most preferrably from 0.04g/L to 0.2g/L. NOTE that I don't use
it on cyanotype application. I actually found better ways to do what I
was trying to do, so I don't actually use tannin these days.)

PS. My email server has been VERY intermittent (so is my brain... due
to lots of scotch, wine, and beer, all containing tannin). Please bear
with mne for slowness of my responses.