Re: my work online

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/14/05-10:26:10 AM Z

On Nov 14, 2005, at 8:12 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> David and Chris,
> I think the confusion here comes from the fact that the phrase
> "Tricolor Gum" has a specific meaning to most gum printers who've been
> around a while; it means CMY printed in gum using color separations.
> When I label a print "tricolor gum" and when Livick labels a print
> "tricolor gum," for a couple of examples, this is what we mean. I
> understand the way you're using the phrase, but I think it's confusing
> to anyone who has understood the phrase in the established sense and
> might be confusing to curators, for example, when your work is held in
> museums. And if you used four different colors to make a print, you
> could call it whatever you like (my personal terminology for something
> like that is "multiple gum bichromate" or just "gum bichromate") but
> "tricolor gum" is reserved for a particular kind of gum print.

To make my meaning completely clear, I should maybe add that if I made
a three- layer gum print with different colors than CMY, I would never
call it a "tricolor gum" but would, as I say above, call it "multiple
gum bichromate" or simply "gum bichromate" as in my mind, "tricolor
gum" means only this very specific thing.
Katharine

P.S. Are my mails coming in color? I haven't yet figured out how to
change anything; they hide the controls and preferences in these modern
contraptions, but if you're getting colors in my mails, I will try to
find out how to turn it off. Thanks,
kt