Re: Toning kallitypes and vandykes

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 11/15/05-10:02:26 AM Z

Ryuji,

Yes, by specrta analysis I do mean X-Ray fluorescence spectroscopy. I
met someone from the Getty who was interested in the project because
it has implications for his own conservation work with toned prints
from the 19th and 20 centuries. So I prepared some samples which he
tested and based on the results we hope to modify the toning
procedure in an effort to make it more efficient. The efficiency, as
measured by the replacement of silver with palladium, can not be
evaluated visually at since 2.5 minutes of toning gives the same look
as 20 minutes of toning, but there is a big difference when measured
with X-Ray spectroscopy.

Thank you for your suggestions about possible directions for
experimentation to speed up the process. I also thank you for the
suggestion about peroxide fuming. The most likely course I will
follow at this time is attempt to increase the activity of the anode
reaction by modifying the toning formula to include thiourea and/or
thocyanate, and/or make changes in pH of the working solution.

Sandy