Re: Butterflies and other Mail questions

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/17/05-11:31:36 AM Z

On Nov 17, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> I'm not seeing a butterfly :-)

Excellent!

> In Mac OSX you assign yourself a picture in SystemPref>Accounts. As
> far as I know, this is only used internally for login and address book
> ID. It doesn't get sent with outgoing mail. I'm on OSX.3, something
> could have changed on OSX.4

My mail in my "sent" folder all has a butterfly on it, and my posts
that come back to me through the alt-photo list all have butterflies on
them. It relieves me greatly to hear that it's only in my own system
that butterflies appear.

> Mac Mail "learns" what is and isn't "junk". There are two ways to
> teach it. The first (near perfect way) is to make sure that Mark and
> his email address are in you address book AND that MailPrefs>Junk is
> set to exclude your address book. The second (not perfect, but
> helpful) way is to simply hit the "Not Junk" button whenever Mail
> mistakes something.

Yes, I've been doing that, under the idea that this must be one of
those Bayesian filters that Gordon sent me some papers about a couple
of years ago, very interesting stuff. Over time, with finer calibration
of what the receiver considers junk and what not, they are supposed to
be able to get 99% of the junk. The problem is that spammers keep
getting more and more clever about getting around the filters.

Thanks,
Katharine