PPG Starphire Glass ( ?? Questioning My Data)

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 11/17/05-09:36:30 PM Z

After last nights back and forth, I was indeed going to call PPG.

This required all of 3 minutes and a short wait for a return call. I
received a call back from Penny Bridges. She has since faxed to me data for
both the Starphire glass and SOLARPHIRE glass. The thinnest that the
Starphire is listed as being manufactured is 1/8” or 3.3mm and all the way
up to ¾. The data sheets do differ somewhat from those I received in 1992
as one would expect; most businesses update their literature. I received
separate sheets for 4mm and 8mm and this one combines the information and
transmission data in 10nm increments and only shows transmission data for a
glass with a thickness of 5.66mm. It does not show up on the available sizes
but that is what is referred to in the chart.

While it does not match my data, as one would expect from different
thickness of glass, it does come darn close to the 4mm data that I have. It
is not what I believe to be true as Sandy indicated in his email, but what I
know to be true based on the manufactures data. Penny said that they have
not changed it since they first starting making it but do offer a coating.

It took very me little effort and would certainly have been something that I
would have done if I were to include test information about a type glass in
a book : ) But wait, that is what I DID back in 1992. It appears in my book
on platinum printing. I don't site all the data. But do talk about why and
when one might benefit from using it.

This data also talks about the infrared quality of the glass. I have not
studied gum like I have studied platinum/palladium printing. It may be that
Judy's experience with Starphire has something to do with other
characteristics of the glass that are not beneficial to the chemistry she
used.

At this moment, I can't lay my hands on them which does bother me. I took
them out of my notes to make copies for some students and can't locate them.
I do however, have the data for the 4mm which is what Sandy googled.

I will however, be glad to post PDF's of the documents after I receive them
in the mail. The faxes are OK, but I'd rather wait at least until I have a
chance to print them with my higher quality printer. I am sure she'll fax
them to you too Sandy.

The PPG web site that I posted last night has their phone number. I suggest
calling them.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226