Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 11/18/05-11:53:20 PM Z

Katharine,

I have found a spectral output curve for the photoflood and other
incandesant lamp and the curve shows about a 12-13% relative output at 400nm
and it goes down to 0%, in a near linear fashion, at about 250nm. Someone
told me that the gum dichro as a peek response at around 370 nm. (I don't
recall the exact number) This would mean an output of just above 40 Watts at
that peek.

A factor that could play against the use of photoflood bulbs in the long run
is there relatively short life (10-100 hours) especially if I take 20
minutes chunks out of it each time.

As for the relative humidity well, my very short experience tells me that a
20 minutes exposure at around 30% RH results in step 1 showing a subtle
difference with step 2 (Stouffer 21 step) but this a one time event and
obviously no conclusion can be drawn from this experience. I can add also
that these subtle difference are present all the way to step 8 and 9 then I
don't see any differences subtle or otherwise from 9 and above. This could
mean 20 minutes is still not enough to reach 5 stops.

Katharine experience is that she needs only 2 to 5 minutes at around 55 %
RH. This does not mean much again but it's a substancial difference that I
don't know how to explain and it can't be the distance, the bulb is no more
then 18 inch above the glass.

Yves