RE: pentahydrate or anhydrous?

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 11/21/05-07:09:01 AM Z

You can use both. In case of pentahydrate you have to use about 58% more
pentahydrate compared to anhydrous. In other words, if any formula which
contains sodium thiosulfate calls for 100 gr of anhydrous sodium
thiosulfate, then you can use 158 gr sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate for the
same formula volume.

I use 2% anhydrous sodium thiosulfate fixer for my Vandyke prints. My usual
fixing time is 1 minute (occasionally I can go to 2 mins. with used fixer).
I fix max. 4 20x30cm (~ 8.5x11") prints with 1lt of 2% anhydrous sodium
thiosulfate then mix fresh fixer. I didn't see any ill effects with that
practice. Please note that I gold tone (gold chloride + thiourea toner)
before fixing.

Regards,
Loris.