Re: x-ray film

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 11/25/05-11:47:29 PM Z

John wrote:

> Has anyone played around with x-ray film for alt purposes?

X-ray film is generally coated quite heavily on both sides with a fairly
fast, fairly contrasty blue-sensitive or, sometimes, ortho (blue + green
sensitive) emulsion. These days, the image is formed largely by
fluorescence from phosphors in the film holders (as opposed to directly by
the X-rays), which allows for much smaller X-ray doses. Because of the
thick emulsion on both sides, it has huge amounts of silver in it -- silver
recovery is not optional for X-ray labs. I've never tried using it for alt
work -- I assume getting the back side exposed without the phosphorescence
could be problematic.

Best regards,

etienne