Re: pigment (magentas)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/27/05-11:51:45 AM Z

Hi All,
I seem to be over in a corner talking to myself about pigment while
everyone else is chatting about digital negatives, but never mind that;
I'll just carry on here.

It's interesting how the memory plays tricks on one. I was remembering
the PV 19 beta as a definitely blue-violet rather than a red-purple.
But when I went out to the studio to confirm my memory, I found that I
had remembered it bluer than it really is; it's still a red-purple,
though the bluest red-purple that I know of.

For comparison, I brushed on paper a sampling of some pigments that
have been used or recommended for magenta for tricolor gum, and have
uploaded them along with some comments. I didn't have time to do all
of the pigments/brands I have under that category, (I do have a chart
of all of them, but it's too big to fit on the scanner) but enough to
give a range of the colors. I used the pigment/gum mixes that I have
prepared for gum, rather than the paints right out of the tube. And
yes, it does look makeshift and dorky, but this is about substance, not
style ;--)

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Magentas.html

kt