Re: making regular photo paper POP

From: Ben Coburn ^lt;btcoburn@silicodon.net>
Date: 09/01/05-01:22:42 PM Z

On Sep 1, 2005, at 10:54 AM, mmatusz@pdq.net wrote:

> Chris,
> These are beautiful images (thank to Kerik for the link). Do you have
> any
> details on fixing process and what type (brand of papers were used).
> Any
> other practical details that might be useful? Is there any toning of
> the
> images? I have been doing some experimentation in using commercial B&W
> papers for alt photo processes and would be interesed in learning as
> much
> as possible.
> Marek M, Houston

Well, I was so surprised by these pictures that I set a scrap of Ilford
warm tone fiber paper out in the sun for a bit with some leaves on top.
It did, in fact, turn colors! Blues in the exposed areas, pinks
elsewhere, and a muddy almost-green where I spattered some water on
top. I didn't bother to fix it, so I can't comment on that. However,
the dampness of the paper during exposure does seem to have a huge
impact on the colors produced.

This is the first I've heard of producing colors on BW paper with such
a simple process. Can anyone comment on how the colors are actually
produced? Is it something like butterfly wings, where exceedingly fine
structures trap and reflect specific wavelengths of light?

regards, Ben Coburn

    silicodon.net