Re: Glutaraldehyde, yupo

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 09/02/05-08:03:26 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Katharine Thayer wrote:
> >
> > Katherine - Is it necessary to size Yupo for gum?
> >

> Gord,
> The answer is yes and no, or actually no and yes. No, there's no need to
> size for the purpose of preventing stain, but you do need to add some
> tooth somehow, because without some added tooth the surface tends to be
> too slick to retain the gum. So in a way it's like printing on glass or
> metal; you have to figure a way to get the gum to stick to the slick
> surface.

That was perhaps a bit cryptic, but that's because I don't want to
prescribe a way to provide the tooth. Different things work for
different people, as is the way with gum. Some people find that a
hardened gelatin size works for them as a sub for gum on glass, for
instance, but I've never been able to get it to work for me at all,
either on glass or on yupo. And some people recommend silane for a sub
for glass, but I've not been able to get that to work for me either. For
me, it works better to provide physical tooth for the gum by scuffing
the surface or adding some grit to the surface. So, whatever works for
you, but you'll need something for the gum to hang onto.
Katharine