RE: Making Silver Oxide From Red Devil Lye: Argyrotype

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 09/05/05-10:47:14 AM Z

Red Devil and Drano (in a can) are both sodium hydroxide and will
work, with a few caveats. I've not used the Red Devil (would like to
try), but I've used the Drano product and while it works I've also had
more inconsistencies/failures and more problems with contrast with
that particlular formula. The Drano product contained some weird
looking aluminum shavings and a blue tint... yet only lists sodium
hydroxide as the ingredients. I'd say your expereinces with argyrotype
may be less satisfying if you stray from the best chemicals available.
Yet that is what I have a tendency to do as well.

word of warning - the mixture of the Drano and silver nitrate is quite
"ACTIVE" and you need eye protection as well as an extra large
container to mix them together.... it will expand and fizz quite
rapidly and MUST be rinsed with distilled water to remove impurities
afterwards

Sulfamic acid is readily available at Home Depot. Go to the flooring
section and look for a tile cleaner from TileLab. It comes in an
orangish-yellow container with a red plastic top. The last time I was
there the package looked the same, but instead said "Sulfamic Acid
Cleaner," yet nobody in the store had every heard of sulfamic acid.
$4.99 for a pound

FWIW, I think you choice of paper will impact you more than anything
else. Only two recommendations - Cranes 90 lb cover or Arches Platine.

have fun

Darryl Baird