Re: "speckling" v "staining " (was New Orleans/glut)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 09/06/05-02:32:55 AM Z

Now, I do have some paper sized with glyoxal-hardened *gum* that IS
gritty, but my experiments seem to suggest that it takes a lot less
glyoxal to harden gum to a crystalline state than is needed to harden
gelatin to that state (I haven't seen this crystallization in gelatin
myself with either .6% or 1% glyoxal).

Also, the glyoxal-hardened gum turns a deep ivory color within a day on
Arches Bright White if not rinsed, but again, the paper returns to pure
white in the water development after gum exposure, even printed months
later.
Katharine