RE: Calling LIAM RE: update on lumen prints

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 09/08/05-02:39:59 AM Z

Hi Judy,

Sorry for delay - I'm just back from a few days away. I think you're
probably thinking of the reversal bleaches, which remove silver but leave
the halides behind (for treatment with dev or toner). These (or at least
the ones I used) are made with either pot. dicromate or pot. permanganate
with sulphuric acid, but I don't think either is any use here (what exactly
is a lumen print, anyway??)

Re. George's question, iodide "fixation" won't give an archival result, but
Mike Ware's book does talk about redeveloping faded prints. It says:

"The light-induced bleaching of silver in the presence of iodide, which
Talbot made use of in his leucotype process, has not been explained. Free
iodide ion only absorbs in the ultraviolet (at 226 and 193 nm), quite beyond
the spectrum of the incident light [he's talking about fading under gallery
illumination], so this cannot be the direct cause. It is certain that the
silver metal will have a surface layer of chemisorbed silver iodide, which
does absorb in the near UV and blue regions, and it may be a photo-electric
effect within this semiconductor surface layer that provides the mobile
electron/hole pair needed to promote the redox reaction above.

"Because the redox potential of the silver/iodide couple is not too
negative, iodide-bleached silver images can be redeveloped by the action of
conventional photographic developers, which are mild organic reducing
agents. Talbot himself made use of this to 'revive' faded calotypes using
his 'gallo-nitrate of silver' solution."

Liam