RE: palladium vs. cyanotype sharpness-link to comparison

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 09/21/05-07:28:15 PM Z

Chris, Loris, Mark,

I think the slight bleed between the
pixels from the target is more likely, at that microscopic level, the
negative not being vacuum tight to the paper, because of the hills and
valleys of the paper. I just have contact printing frames, no vacuum easel
:(

I've not made any PDN negatives and prints for gum or cyanotype but I have
made pure DOP palladium prints on Ultrafine Clear Film using a vacuum easel
and the results are very sharp. Sharper perhaps than the scans that Chris
had Mark put on his web page. So the vacuum easel does make a difference,
IMO. I also might mention that scans of the prints probably aren't as
clearly rendered as you may observe from the actual prints.

It has been my experience working with enlarged negatives that cyanotypes
are just as sharp (at least visually) as palladium prints.

My 2 cents,

Don