Re: spot, averaging, or incident metering?

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 09/30/05-11:40:56 PM Z

Good question and excellent examples, Sharon.

I have a Pentax spot meter for my large format work. Why take 20 minutes to
set up a shot and not use a dead-on exact meter system.

I too like to walk about with less metering encomberances and have a Weston
Ranger 9 that I use with the [heavy] Graphlex 5X7 D. Here's what to do.

Absolutely first thing is to compare the readings, which you did, and find
they all read the same under perfect and controlled conditions.

Next, aim the meter into the brightest sunlight and 'wack' the cell into
action. Read the shadow, the highlight and at a forty-five degree angle,
read the brightest light off your hand. Yes, your hand. That gives you
Zone VI and will tell you how much the highlights are over and where the
shadowed light falls.

Works e v e r y s i n g l e t i m e.

Steve Shapiro