Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/02/06-06:10:13 PM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:01:18 -0700

> [...] gloy is PVA, a very simple and well-understood polymer, mixed
> with some other stuff,

Since you called gum arabic "extremely complex" and "not entirely
understood and somewhat indefinite structure," I would add that PVA is
also complex and somewhat indefinite structure.

If you read highschool textbook, PVA may be drawn like a straight
vinyl chain with alcohol hanging every other carbon (1,3-diol), but
that is not the entire picture, and PVA manufactured by current method
has some degree of branching. This is because PVA is made from
poly(vinyl esters) and this polyvinyl esters are already somewhat
branched. Then there are some places where two alcohols are hanging on
adjacent vinyl carbons (1,2-diol). Manufacturers try to minimize this
but they exist to a small percentage.

Furthermore, the alcohol groups in PVA is primary alcohol and so they
undergo usual alcohol reaction, such as oxidation. So alcohols can be
oxidized to aldehyde or carboxylic acid. Commercial PVA is likely a
copolymer with a small fraction of acrylic acids.

> while gum arabic is an extremely complex arabinogalactan protein,
> with an enormous, not entirely understood and somewhat indefinite
> structure.

Gum arabic is not a protein.

> Gloy and gum arabic may behave the same, and the crosslinking
> mechanism may well be the same (although this is only a hypothesis)

When the crosslinking of PVA is now reported to vary if moisture is
present, how can you make such a statement?