Gloy, gum and PVA : Practicality & Clear Advice.

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/03/06-02:27:40 AM Z

Let us take a more practical; approach to these things.

 Gloy, gum arabic and PVA with plasticisers, all have similar qualities
which make them suitable for 'gum' printing.

The definition I gave of gum was from a reputable technical dictionary. The
additional ' or any substance with similar quailities' was from another
dictionary from the same stable. Dictionaries are practical guides, they are not
'authorities'.

As you say 'gum' itself is not a 'scientific' term. The implication of this
is that long technical discussions of its structure do not add much for the
purposes of the gum printer. In fact, i have been told by a significant
proportion of my recent students, capable and intelligent people. that such discussions
have led them to unsubscribe from this list.

A succinct explanation, free of jargon, does, however, help the student to
understand how the process works in practice. Long detailed explanations
replete with jargon do not help. Remember the principle that it is better to keep
things simple.

Terry

ll have to escape to
such a weak argument as "that is irrelevant to practice" or "pedantic
turn of mind" kind of nonesense. If thing's started with better
arguments, or better yet no such argument at all, we all spare
subsequent posts of rebuttal.

Terry