Re: Why does cyanotype work?

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/04/06-05:30:25 PM Z

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Barry Kleider wrote:

> I've been teaching a high school chemistry class using the cyanotype process
> as our point for understanding chemical reactions.
CUT

> Is this a simple oxidation process? If we left a piece of treated paper in
> the dark would it eventually turn blue also? Why does it leave an image?

   It seems to me that for teaching a class (or other purpose for that
matter) best answer would be to have the students leave "a piece of
treated paper in the dark" and SEE if it turns blue... and how blue it
gets in what amount of time... Then do it again when the place warms up
for summer, as a practical illustration of "heat acceleration" or whatever
they call it -- or lack of same.

J.