Re: Gum hardening -- top down?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 04/05/06-11:21:44 AM Z

If the jury is still out on whether hardening of gum on exposure to
UV light takes place from the top to the bottom of the emulsion
layer, or from the bottom to the top, I suggest someone go to the
jury room and check on the condition of the jury. They may have left
the building.

Were there any gum system that would result in hardening of the gum
emulsion from the surface of the paper up to the top of the emulsion
it would be possible to make gum prints with one coating and exposure
that have both high Dmax (log 1.80 or above as is possible with
carbon), and a complete range of tones from the shadows to the
highlights. No one has ever been able to do that in gum printing, and
unless the laws of photochemical reactions are reversed, they never
will.

I have suggested a very simple test that will clearly prove that
hardening of a gum emulsion on exposure to UV light is a top to
bottom phenomenon, same as it is in carbon printing. Just expose the
gum print from the back through the surface of the paper. If you do
this you will find that it is possible to get very high Dmax prints
with a complete range of tones, though printing times will be very
long and some detail will be lost from the texture of the paper.

Sandy