Re: Gum hardening -- top down?

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 04/05/06-02:27:59 PM Z

Terry,

I understand I mist the point somewhat. I thought this down top hardening hypothesis was because some thought that the dichromate molecules gather at the surface of the paper and I tryed to disprove that.

In the much more probable case that dichromate molecules are distributed evenly in the emulsion, other laws apply but the end result would make the hypothesis that hardening start at the surface of the paper just as easy to disprove.

Assuming the emultion is only a bunch of various molecules distributed evenly in a thin coating on top of a piece of paper. The simple fact that they are present creates a physical barrier to light, UV or otherwise. Light considered as a particule, a photon, is so small that it could go in between those molecules and find a way to the papers surface but the probality that most of photons find there way to the paper surface is almost inexistant. The much more probable circonstance is that a large number of photon will be block by the top most molecules present in the emultion, what's left of the photons will be block by the next layer of molecules and so on. So an exponentially decreasing number of photons will make it's way to the paper if ANY. If you can't see the color of the paper through the emultion, there is an extremely low probability that a (UV) photon will make its way to the paper surface.

An analogy to this would go something like this. We fill a carboard box with styrofoam balls having several tooth pick poke into them to increase the area between the balls (the emulsion molecules) and use a shot gun shotting several 3mm pellets. (our photons). You'll agree with me that by doing this we should have more space between the balls then the ball occupy by themselves. I'm convinced it wouldn't take to many layer of such balls that we couldn't even see the bottom of the box and if we don't see it which mean infinitissimally small photon can't even get through and back to our eyes, there is not much chance a pellet will go through, even if it doesn't have to bounce back at us and pass again through the layers of balls. No shots required here...

Regards
Yves