Re: Gum hardening -- top down?

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/06/06-02:32:13 AM Z

In a message dated 6/4/06 3:08:56 am, zphoto@montana.net writes:

> I think that a lot of the theories we're bandying about here this week are
> going to take a lot more science than speculation to prove one way or
> another.  And I don't see any scientist with heavy machinery deciding to
> take up the gum cause any time soon.

Chris

Interestingly enough, if it appeared that there was a real difference
opinion that needed scientific investigation with 'heavy machinery',that could be
arranged. We could even have a paper about at APIS. 2006. But, at the moment,
as others are suggsting here, the observed realiity with pigmented and
dichromated gums and gelatines is that they harden from the surface of the coating
down to the surface of he paper.

If the effect you are dscribing is occuring, my reaction is that you are not
achieving the as good a combination of gum, pigment and dichromate as you
could.

You are right in that there is far too much specualtion here. I am afraid
that is too often the kind of speculation that cannot, as you imply, be taken
seriously. The principles involved are simple as are the techniques needed to
apply them most effectively. .

My own techniques are set out on my web site.

Terry