Re: Best Gum Prints I have seen : Criteria

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/08/06-06:46:58 AM Z

Sandy

I respect both Chris's achievements in making gum prints and your
qualifications to comment on the process. .That was not the point. As you implied it is
possible to make good prints with less than perfect technique.But then
whose technique is perfect ?

The original point was how it was that Chris appeared to be getting a layer
of dichromate under her coating as she applied it. I suggested first of all
that could be that there was too much gum in the mixture but then I realised that
I meant too much dichromate solution. My comment as based upon my experience
of making thousands of gum prints. It did not in any ay imply critiscism of
Chris's prints. If one asks questions like that presemably one expects an
answer.

You sais=d that Chris's gum prints were some of the best yoyu had seen. That
is an entirely different point. As I said. leaving Chris's prints out of it,
what did you mean by 'best'.

You said "The print indicates mastery of the technical potential of the
medium" but what does that mean ? Do you mean making a gum print to look like a C
type or controlling rhe medium so that it does not look like a photograph at
all as was the case with some of the great Pictorialists. Or are they both
legitimate approaches.where on can combime a bit of one and bit of the other. Is
process here here getting in the way of the art implied in your second
comment, "The print shows artistic creativity and imagination" where i would support
you all along he way.

Terry.