Re: Best Gum Prints I have seen : Criteria

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/08/06-12:09:41 PM Z

Sandy

 I am sure that we are 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

As to Emerson, his approach to gum printing stemmed from his misunderstanding
of how we perceive contrast and focus. I would suggest that Evans might be a
better example. Although he achieved images with wide range of tone and fine
gradation, he was also capable of producing prints with stunning gradation
within a narrow range of tones. Try holding a print of the attics at Kelmscott in
your hands to see what I mean.

I suspect that the fashion for d max in platinum prints, producing a somewhat
soot and whitewash affect that some of us remember from silver gelatine
printing, stems from using contrast controls in printing from inappropriate
negatives..That's the way the faulty becomes the fashionable.

Good platinum prints result from good negatives made on film with fine
gradation and a good contrast range which has been exposed and developed for the
purpose.

Terry.