Re: Steinbock

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/08/06-03:52:18 PM Z

In a message dated 8/4/06 8:16:47 pm, john.grocott403@ntlworld.com writes:

> I feel that many of us would like to know more about Steinbock, please.  I,
> for one, have never heard of him. Could you give us some book references?

John

Steinbock was a fashion photographer from Maidenhead. He had a lecture which
he gave to camera clubs. It was a very good lecture. it was funny. His
approach was similar to that of Max Miller. His pictures seemed to have quality of
hyper-reality. They inspired in me a love of gum printing. He told us the bare
bones of what was needed but like many 'old timers' he kept the mysteries to
himself.

Some time later he came to a lecture I gave; he complained that I was somehow
claiming to have invented the process. I said that I was not responsible for
what journalists wrote but that I was happy to acknowledge my debt to him.
The only references I can find on search engines to his name are quotes from me
acknowledging that debt. But I assume that his name must appear in exhibition
catalogues of the thirties. If you like I will ask the people on the
photohistory list.

I remember his telling us that during World War I his house was vandalised
as his family had a German name.

Terry