RE: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 04/11/06-12:55:37 PM Z

Yes, and my unproven explanation for the difference between unabsorbent
surface and paper is that the paper has more "tooth." I know people have
different opinions on that itself, but the way I see it is that on paper,
the hardened gum has "taller" tooth that it can grab. I don't know how to
explain this by text, but let's say we zoom in everything and perhaps we can
think of the punk-style hair (the kind that stands up). Suppose have a gum
coating on the hair, and we expose, it takes relatively little exposure to
harden from the top of the coating to the hair (if the coating is thicker
than the hair), so even if only the top part of the gum holds on to the hair
and there is unhardened gum under it, the unhardened part can still dissolve
and get out from the side, while the hardened part still has something to
grab.

For the unabsorbent surfaces, well, since you sand it, it has some "tooth,"
so it is still like the hair but with very very very short hair. If the gum
coating is thicker than the hair (especially if the thickness of the gum
coating is the same as the case above), then you really need to expose a lot
to get to the hair, otherwise the hardened gum has nothing to grab, so when
the unhardened gum is dissolved, the hardened part flakes off too.

I should repeat that I didn't perform any test to confirm this, and this
implicitly assumes top-down hardening, but it seems to explain many things
well.

Dave S