RE: Van Dyke washing

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 04/12/06-09:59:55 AM Z

Citric acid will dissolve the unexposed iron sensitizer very effectively
- I personally think it's the best tool for the job (that is: clearing
the Vandyke print).

Cyanotype and Vandyke images are very different (Cyanotype image forming
compound is Prussian Blue - don't remember the exact name of the
compound - whereas Vandyke image is formed by colloidal silver). That
comment was made about Cyanotype, not Vandyke.

Also, it doesn't matter if Citric Acid is harmful to the silver image
"in long term" since you will be washing it out of paper in subsequent
processing steps; 1) rinsing in water after clearing -> 2) toning
(optional) -> 3) fixing -> 4) final wash... in fact, you use it in the
first step.

IIRC, that comment was made because there's the risk of citric acid
molecule (a small one) being trapped inside of the prussian blue
molecule (a large one). (The original comment is very Cyanotype
specific.)

One of the conclusions of our last correspondence with Mike Ware was:
clearing in citric acid is good for Vandyke, Kallitype (and maybe
Argyrotype) because you can get rid of iron -> which will eventually
fade (oxidise) the silver image.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Loris.