Re: Digital negative novice needs help.

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 04/20/06-05:46:06 AM Z

Sandy,

I don't understand the logic of trying to get a better final resolution then
our eye can resolve. Is there somekind of effect that gives us the
impression a print looks better at a higher resolution then our eyes can
see?

For example, we have say a 5x7 in camera neg resolving 40 lines and we
manage to get the best scan possible from this same negative. I think you
would agree with me that there is always some lost when you reproduce an
image, negative or positive. Let's say in this case we manage to get a
resolution of 35 lines. If the printer and medium we use to make our digital
negative results in a further loss as expected we may get down to only 30
lines. If I understand you correctly from what you wrote below, we shouldn't
be able to tell which was used even if printed on silver-gelatine paper?

That's what I would think also but then you basically say in cases where you
want some magnification that you try to get a final resolution of twice what
is considered by many to be what our eyes are capable of or about 5 lines on
average, I know, this is an average and it means that the number can and
will vary by a few lines on each side depending on who is looking. In other
words, if we target the final print resolution at 5 lines say 6 to be
conservative this should mean on average most people wouldn't see a
difference for any prints of higher resolution then 6 lines, keeping all
other factors constant of course.

I have a feeling you will tell me this is theory and in practice things are
lets say more complicated then that, right?

Regards
Yves