Re: Off-Topic, New Orleans Images - on topic

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/26/06-01:56:23 PM Z

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Catherine Rogers wrote:

> I also think Christina raised interesting issues - I enjoyed reading her
> post (as I do her many of other postings). The ethics of the practice of
> photography and of the presentation of photographs themselves is a great, if
> not never-ending discussion topic, and relevant to alt-photo-process-l too,
> I think. But the suggestion that list members should be protected from
> seeing some kinds of photographs, for me, highlights several important
> issues including the differing values among so-called first world, western
> countries.
>
> I am confounded by the suggestion that Dan's photos were inappropriate for
> the list, and, therefore, something 'we' should not see and, by inference,

I have a lot to say on this topic, & may yet find time & strength to say
it, but for now I want to say that it's EXACTLY posts like Catherine's
that make this list a long-lived, rich and eternally renewing resource.

And why calls to stick "ON TOPIC" -- useful perhaps in preventing
metastasis of digression into endlessness -- cannot, should not, be
strictly enforced/obeyed.

I've also pointed out (re the "competetion" from, eg. APUG (whatever that
is --tho I've got a shot of a T-shirt that says "Down with PUGS") that
we're not selling ads, we don't need the highest Nielsen ratings. Larger
can also be lowest common denominator. And I breathed a sigh of relief
that Gord is not ready to outsource the list to offshore mercenaries.
(Thanks, Gord.)

Otherwise, we are supposed to be grownups, able to control our tempers,
(which yet another fella has not... escalating way over the top). But I'm
taking too long to get to the point -- that STRICT on-topic is not
ultimately constructive, IF we could follow it, which we can't. (Even
kindergarten has recess.) I also disagree that fields need to be walled
off and segregated to prevent person-slaughter. Probably the other way
around. Narrow academicism, only knowing what mirror images of yourself
know is a bore -- and .... you know the term, "internecine warfare"?

Judy