Re: Gum preparation

From: Wendy Currie ^lt;wendy@curriephotography.com>
Date: 04/26/06-05:36:34 PM Z

Hi Yves
As part of the preparation for gum printing, I start by immersing
the paper in v. hot water for at least 20 mins, then hang up to dry.
When it's completely dry I size the paper.
As for using dark colours I always do a 'dot test' as explained in
William Crawford's Keeper's of Light. It's a long boring process,
but once you have the ratio of colour to gum, it's there for good,
(so long as you stick to the same paper)! I only use top quality
artists watercolour pigments such as Windsor & Newton and I only use
Rives BFK.
Hope this helps
Wendy