great alt process exhibit in St louis

From: Thom Mitchell ^lt;tjmitch@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 04/27/06-06:10:58 AM Z
Hello all, not sure if this is well known or not but , I was in St louis for business and played a little hooky by going to the Art Museum. There is an exhibit is titled: Impressionist Camera: Pictorial Photography in Europe, 1888-1918. There are really wonderful prints and autochromes, not to mention carbons, gums, platinums, Fressons, gravures and even a silver gelatin. Some of the gums were massive, one must have been 20x24. It's well worth a drive, or a ticket on southwest, if you really like to look at quality work. In addition depending on the timing the print room is worth a visit as well. Their full collection isn't available right now but they have a spectacular Curtis Orotone and a really nice salt print from 1853 by a French Count. (I can't remember the name of the count). There is also a Strand gum over platinum print of Rebecca. The Strand print is so wonderful that I just looked at it for 10 or 15 minutes.  In fact I can't say enough about the visit. Truly a pleasurable day and the total cost was $6 for the special exhibit with the museum and the print room being free. I've included the link  and the brief write-up below. The exhibit closes in a few weeks so hurry up and make your plans. -thom

http://www.stlouis.art.museum/index.aspx?id=196

Impressionist Camera: Pictorial Photography in Europe, 1888-1918, the first comprehensive exhibition of European Pictorial photography from the great photography collections of Europe, features more than 140 exquisite works seldom seen in the United States. The exhibition travels to the Saint Louis Art Museum, its only American venue, from the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rennes in France.

Using soft-focus lenses and hand-made materials, Pictorial photographers produced beautiful and engaging photographs. Dedicated to the creation of photographs that look like paintings or drawings, these artists were among the first to elevate photography to the status of fine art. The stunning works of such masters as Alvin Langdon Coburn, Robert Demachy, Frantisek Drtikol, and Heinrich Kuehn are featured in this exclusive exhibition.

Impressionist Camera: Pictorial Photography in Europe, 1888-1918 is organized by the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rennes. It is curated in St. Louis by guest curator Phillip Prodger. The exhibition is on view in the Museum’s Main Exhibition Galleries from February 19 through May 14, 2006.