Re: great alt process exhibit in St louis

From: Jack Brubaker ^lt;jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Date: 04/27/06-09:56:29 AM Z

I had the good fortune to see the show and must comment that there is no
comparison between the actual prints and the reproductions in the book. They
are admirable reproductions. I am not criticizing the book. But, seeing the
show made me aware how badly the historical prints reproduce. I was struck
by the lively nature of the prints on very textured paper for instance that
when put through the photomechanical screen came out looking more like
speckles. The sort of graininess that gum is often accused of having. But
the originals were not like that. The texture was related to the paper and
much softer than the screened images. It was also very informative to me to
see the scale of things. The Demachy prints are all small contacts from the
camera images. The German work was often huge and printed on heavily
textured watercolor paper. There were several prints on laid paper with its
strong banding texture. I had never realized the extent that the
pictorialists worked to suppress detail. Soft focus of course but also print
manipulation. There are examples in the show of original silver prints from
negatives that were then printed in gum or oil where very detailed passages
with rich texture were smeared into simpler flatter planes to construct what
the photographer must have thought was a more "artistic", more "painterly"
effect.

The extent of reworking images extended into even the fresson and
photogravure prints. Sometimes by manipulation of the negative through
scraping or drawing on it. Sometimes by scraping or drypoint on the copper
plates. The gum on page 42 by Puro clearly had the foliage of the foreground
tree if not the entire tree painted in. There were several examples of this
use of a dense black having been painted in to form a silhouetted foreground
for dramatic compositional effect. Interestingly the tag on the print that
appears on the cover of the book -Trinks "Colored Shadows"- commented that
the shadows had been added to the image. I would say that they were
manipulated by brushing in development but not added. Just because this is
pictorialism and the shadows are dramatic does not prove they were faked.

I can't say enough about the value for me to have seen this show. If you
can, go.

Jack