Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 04/28/06-02:25:03 PM Z

Mark,

What you say here not only makes sense, but in fact has been known
and understood and practiced by gum printers for a long time.
Amazingly enough, beautiful tricolor gums have been made for
decades, and even now people are starting out and making beautiful
tricolor gums without PDN.

Of course sensible gum printers would never try to print a negative
with DMax of 4.0 on gum; most people know that gum requires a less
dense negative. People have created those less dense negatives many
different ways, both in the darkroom and digitally. I'm lucky to
have a printer that prints a negative with all colors on
transparencies that is perfect for printing gum. Nor was excess
density a problem with the laser printer negatives that I used for
the bulk of the tricolors I made in the years up to 1999. So while
some people will need to go some lengths to accommodate the
characteristics of their printers to the needs of gum, others will
not; it's not a requirement for a successful gum print but simply an
as-needed adjustment to a given printer.

Katharine