Re: HDR Photography: gimmick or reality?

From: Rodolpho Pajuaba <rodolpho_at_pajuaba.com.br>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:35:09 -0300

I hope I´m addressing the non-rhetorical part ;-) . What a HDR technique
does is to compress all the information available on a scene to fit
under a given media. So, the print will always have less information
than the actual scene, but distributed in a way that mimics the way the
eyes see, i.e., simultaneously details on shadows and highlights, both
extremely apart in some (many) cases in real life. Therefore, the
reproduction does not need to have a very large DR - actually, if the
media had a huge DR, HDR would not be needed, it would defeat the very
purpose of it.
Hope this helps,
Rodolpho Pajuaba