RE: Gum print sizing voodoo!! HELP!!

From: Marek Matusz <marekmatusz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:53:26 +0000

Carmen,

Try hardening with chromium. I have done it many times (by the way glutaraldehyde works for me as well as glyoxal). I use about 4-6% gelatine solution with some ammonium or potassium dichromate. Unfortunately I do not have my notes with me, but about 20cc of 3% solution per liter would be OK. SOme excess of dichromate is OK. I coat the papers, let them dry and take them outside for 15-20 minutes, then wash them in water. Not much chromium washes out as most of it should be reduced by the sunlight.

Hope that helps.

Marek