Re: Dag Questions Comments

From: Robert W. Schramm <schrammrus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:45:00 -0400

Frankly, no one should be attemptingthe daguerreotype process (mercury
development) unless they understand the dangers inherent in this process and
know how to protect themselves from them.
Mercury vapor and bromine vapor are both extremely dangerous.

As far as silver plating is concerned, the standard method uses potassium
cyanide. Ingesting or
absorbing even minute quantities of this chemical can lead to death. It is
far safer to purchase
plates than to try to do it yourself. If you do decide to try silver
plating, utmost caution must be used. Also, when plating silver there is a
danger of inadvertently producing fulminate of silver which
is an extremely unstable explosive.

Fair warning.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at: