Re: Old Postcard Silver Patina

From: etienne garbaux ^lt;photographeur@nerdshack.com>
Date: 01/04/06-11:44:07 PM Z

Richard wrote:

> It looks to me like typical "mirroring" from oxidation of
> the image silver. The silver is converted to silver oxide by
> polutants in the air. Some of this oxide migrates to the
> surface of the emulsion and some is converted back to silver
> by other polutants.
     * * *
> There are ways of removing the silver and silver oxide
> from the surface but they carry a risk of destroying the
> original image and there will be some fading of the original
> image beause some of the silver is gone.

Some "aggressive conservators" have reported good results with
bleach-and-redevelop protocols, but it takes fortitude to put a valuable
old photo through that. I did it with a St. Ansel owned by a friend and we
were both pleased with the results. It definitely eliminated the mirroring
without losing density. YMMV.

Best regards,

etienne