Re: Gum image has reversed

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/08/06-10:56:54 PM Z

Hi Bruce,
1. The negative image, in my opinion, is the result of too much
pigment. There's been some discussion of this fairly recently (in
the last two months) on this list. Not everyone agrees with me about
this, but I'll bet if you'll cut back on your pigment, you'll get a
positive image. The reason it's black where there should be white,
or light tones, is pigment stain, and the reason it's white where it
should be black is that the emulsion was so thick (pigment-laden)
that it flaked off.

2. I don't know what to say about your gum. I don't know the current
Photographer's Formulary gum, although I loved an earlier version. I
think the two problems are related to pigment concentration; with a
heavy (but not overly pigmented) pigment load, you will get a high
contrast image. It looks like with one gum (the prepared gum) you're
just under the limit for the amount of pigment that the gum will hold
in suspension, and with the other one, you're just over the limit and
that's why you got the inverted image.
Katharine Thayer