Re: Glyoxal?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/14/06-03:05:35 PM Z

On Jan 14, 2006, at 1:56 AM, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

>> Though 15 cc of a 40 % solution of glyoxal in a liter of water
>> (which I've found works best) might seem like "a lot" to some
>> people.
>>

> Not to some people, but to gelatin. A tiny fraction of that amount of
> glyoxal is necessary to crosslink gelatin molecules.

So maybe the "yellowing" could be a result of using more glyoxal than
is required to crosslink the gelatin?

I wondered about this here some time back, why it was considered
"necessary" to use so much more glyoxal than glutaraldehyde, and I
don't remember getting any useful answers to the question. So I've
gone on using the recommended amount of glyoxal. But it sounds from
this like much less would probably work fine. Has anyone actually
tried this?

Katharine